BWL Abroad Program
In the Fall of 2023, BWL will host a trip to Dubai, UAE where our students will engage, explore, and learn first-hand about Middle Eastern history and culture.
11th and 12th graders will have the opportunity to visit Dubai, where ultra-modern meets the historical cradle of civilization. Students will be hosted by one of our BWL parents and spend a week seeing historical sites, learning about Dubai’s rich and ancient history, seeing its world-renowned architecture, and studying at a second school.
Students will undertake a curriculum blending the city's arts and culture with its cutting-edge science and technology through:
· Immersion into Dubai's historical roots and linguistic heritage, highlighting music, handcraft, language, cuisine, and art
· Emirati music, perfume, cuisine, storytelling, and contemporary art
· Dubai's role as a global business hub, exponential growth, and pioneering technological advancements, including sustainability programs, engineering, and space exploration.
· Hands-on activities, interactive sessions, and guided explorations
8 Days in Dubai!
Discover the Heartbeat of Dubai
Introduction to Dubai
- Learn the vibrant history of Dubai, from its origins as a small fishing village to the global city it is today.
Language and Communication
- Learn basic Arabic phrases and greetings, and explore the importance of language in preserving culture by visiting poetry slams and literature readings.
- Try your hand at Arabic calligraphy!
- Experience Al Yowla, a traditional victory dance and an Emirati storytelling session.
Embrace the Artistic Soul of Dubai
Music and Dance
- Experience traditional Emirati music: Sounds of the Oud (lute), Tablah (drum), and Qanun (zither).
- Learn to play the Tablah!
- Learn how instruments are used in storytelling traditions.
- Taste Emirati cuisine: Al Harees, Al Majboos, and Luqaimat, and learn about the significance of dates and coffee (Gahwa) in Emirati culture.
- Make your own Luqaimat, a traditional dessert.
Modern Art and Culture
- Explore Dubai's contemporary art scene at Alserkal Avenue, displaying local artists.
Connect the Dots and Look to the Stars
Business and Economy
- Discover Dubai as a global business hub and learn about the significance of the Dubai Expo.
- Explore Dubai's smart city initiatives: Smart traffic systems, digital governance, Hyperloop transportation, and flying taxis.
- Learn all about UAE's Mars Mission and the Hope Probe, and explore the future of space exploration for the UAE
Uncover the Future in the Desert
- Explore the solar parks, waste managment solutions and salination plants that up Dubai's sustainability structure.
- Learn about the evolution of Dubai's skyline, from Barjeels (wind towers) to skyscrapers.
- Visit iconic structures like the Burj Khalifa, Palm Jumeirah, and the Dubai Frame.